Manage Your Stress Using Weight Lifting Exercises
Managing stress and getting relief from tension is possible through physical activity. Weight lifting can be an excellent source of stress relief, as it provides both long-term and short-term goals.
Short-term, you want to be able to lift a specific weight a certain number of times, and long-term, your goal is to get your body into better physical shape. The rewards of weight lifting increase the more you practice it, which can be perfect for relieving tension and focusing your goals.
Starting a weight-lifting routine isn't always easy, and you may have sore muscles or be a little discouraged that it's tougher than you thought. Continuing with your routine for a month or two will show some big changes, though, so stick with it and you'll be amazed at the results.
There are a wide variety of workout strategies that you can apply, and you can tailor your routine to add muscle mass, tone the muscles you have, or increase your overall strength. Some people like to focus on one area of their body, such as working on biceps, legs, or abs, while others get into weight lifting just for something to do and to be in better physical shape.
If you have not lifted weights in a while, or ever, you will want to start with moderate workouts that work all the muscle groups you want to focus on. For a moderate beginning workout, you will probably want to do each lift ten times (called reps), and repeat three times (which are called sets).
You should use enough weight so that you struggle a little with the last couple reps in the third set. Most people recommend lifting twice a week, and four times a week at the most. After you can lift without getting sore, you can begin to tailor your workouts to focus on your long-term goals.
If you want to tone a specific muscle group, you will want to work that muscle group with lots of reps, probably 15-20 reps, with less weight then what you would normally use. You can do three sets, although more is better since the key to toning your muscles is to make them flex many times.
However, if you are only concerned with building strength and are not worried muscle tone, you will want to do less reps, like 5 per set (10 at the very most), and use more weight than normal. Regardless of what your weight lifting goals are, increasing your protein intake will typically help you achieve those goals sooner.
Your age, sex, and genetics will play a large part in the immediate results, but anyone can improve their health and reduce stress by lifting weights. Weight lifting can be a great way to blow off some steam or just focus on something besides work, bills, obligations, etc. that come up in everyone's life. If you stick with weight lifting long enough, you will probably find it very enjoyable and that something is missing if you skip a day of lifting.
Hot Topics In Stress Management
She was always very good about keeping things in order, filing things, having...
- Stress Shapes - Functional, Quirky, Amusing, Numerous
- Pregnenolone, DHEA & Adrenal Stress
- Completely Exhausted But Still Can't Sleep? Ten Proven Tips To Drift You Off to Dreamland
- The Type of Motivation You Feel Can Increase or Decrease Your Stress Levels
- Don't Stress - Decompress
- Stress Management - A Technique
- How to Give Dynamic Stress Management Presentations (Part 2)
- Balance Your Life With Stress Relief Techniques
- Storm Cloud of Stress
- Confronting Burnout, Stress and Anxiety
- Stress Relief Balls - A Pleasing Way to Relieve Stress
- Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome-Get Out of Mental Jail
- Stress Management Tips and Advice
- Stress Can Damage Your Relationship!
- How To Get Over Job Stress And Anxiety
- Mental Stress and Poor Body Image Among Men
- How to Burn out Stress Instead of You!
- Soothing Relaxation Techniques To Tame Your Stress
- Finding A Stress Management Technique That Works For You
- Causes of Stress
- Back Exercises
- Body Odor
- Cardio Exercise
- Chronic Disease
- Color Therapies
- Dark Circles
- Edward's Syndrome
- Energy Healing
- Essential Oil
- Fasting and Cleansing
- Gem Therapy
- High Blood Pressure
- Immune Disorders
- Ingrown Hair
- Itchy Skin
- Liver Cancer
- Nail Fungus
- Ovarian Cancer
- Polarity Therapy
- Alternative A-Z | Beauty A-Z | Disease & Conditions A-Z | Fitness A-Z | Health A-Z | Home Life A-Z | Medicine A-Z | Remedies A-Z | Disease Therapy A-Z
- Health Topics | Articles | Encyclopedia | Glossaries | Directories | Archives | Rss Channel | Blog | China Health Online | 365 Health Online | InfoDaily
- Air Purification
- Alternative Medicine
- Birth Control
- Child Health
- Dental Health
- Elder Care
- Environmental Health
- Eye Health
- First Aid
- Food Safety
- Foot Health
- Green Foods
- Health Equipment
- Health Foods
- Health Insurance
- Health Supplements
- Healthy Diet
- Herbal Medicines
- Home Health
- Men's Health
- Mental Health
- Occupational Health
- Panic Attack
- Personal Care
- Psychological Health
- Quit Smoking
- Reproductive Health
- Senior Health
- Sexual Health
- Sports Health
- Stress Management
- Teen Health
- Travel Health
- Weight Control
- Women's Health